- Prep Time:
There are a lot of versions of sponge cake. And lot many recipes and tricks shared just to make it light and spongy! Traditionally a sponge cake is a light,airy cake, that is made with little or no butter or oil. It uses rising agents like baking soda , along with beaten eggs to make it lighter. In some versions, egg whites are seperated from yolks and beaten till stiff (with cream of tartar also added to retain the stiffness) For me a sponge cake , is nothing but a nice and light vanilla cake ,that can be best enjoyed as it is or can be used with delicious frostings of choice. So heres my version of a light sponge. My sponge rose sporadically from the center,because of my deep and small diameter cake tin and higher volume of batter…..so for a more uniformly risen cake, make sure you have a wide tin with just the correct depth.
- Sift the flour with baking powder and soda bicarb and set aside. Lightly grease baking tin and dust with flour. Preheat oven at 180 deg C
- Seperate egg yolks from egg whites and keep aside. With an electric beater,beat together egg whites till they form stiff peaks , but the meringue still remains glossy. You can add a pinch of cream of tartar to the egg whites before beating to stabali
- Now lightly beat the yolks and gently add them to the beaten whites and fold gently. Add vanilla essence and fold again.
- Mix together castor sugar and sifted flour mixture. Add this to the egg mixture,and fold gently till a smooth batter is formed.Now add melted butter and mix again. Adjust the consistency of the batter with some milk , if its too thick.
- Now transfer the batter to baking tin and bake for 20-35 mins till done , or till a knife inserted at the center comes out clean. Cool and demould.
You may also like
Send Your Feedback