- Serves: 8 - 10
- Prep Time: 30
- Cooking: 30
I have always loved the black forest cake. Infact I love all the fresh cream cakes!!!! When I visit the cake shop they often have cakes with fancy names. I have always wondered what exactly is the difference between these cakes. Ok to a lay man like me ” a cake by any name is a cake”. How is Gateau different from cake? Bet that your first thought…. Gateau is the French word for cake. Many gateau cakes are iced cakes and may contain layers, frosting and filling. It can be light or rich, rectangular or round, and often has fresh decoration such as fruit or whipped cream that makes it perishable. Torte is the German word for the humble cake and is similar to the gateau. So now that its all sorted I feel better. For me the taste is all that matters. Inspite of its fancy name this is the most delicate yet surprisingly easy cake to make.
- Separate the egg white and the egg yolk. Beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. Mix the cocoa powder, drinking chocolate and the coffee powder with a little water.
- Sieve the Maida and cornflour with the baking powder. In a bowl beat the egg yolks. Add the powdered sugar and whisk. Now gradually add the oil and keep beating. Add the cocoa coffee syrup and beat a little. Now add maida, little at a time and mix we
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool the cake. When cool, cut the cake horizontally in two parts.
- Mix the brandy, coffee liquor or Espresso shot (add a tsp of sugar if you like a little more sweetness) Soak both the parts of the cake generously with the brandy coffee mix.
- Now take the base part of the cake and spread a layer of whipped cream. Put the top part back on.(You can ice the top part also with a layer of whipped cream).
- Fill a piping bag with the remaining whipped cream and pipe out rosettes on the entire cake. Make sure the entire cake is covered. Just lightly ice the sides of the cake with cream and stick the chocolate shavings on it.
- Decorate the cake with glazed cherries. You can alternatively ice the entire cake with whipped cream and decorate it with shredded chocolate.
You may also like
Send Your Feedback