- Serves: 3 - 5
- Prep Time: 15 Minute
- Cooking: 20 Minute
Most of us have grown up listening to the health benefits of Karela or Bitter Gourd. Mother and Grandmothers advocated preparing this vegetable at least once a week for their many health benefits. But the bitter taste made them a nightmare for children. I remember many of my diabetic neighbors gulping down karela juice shots every morning, some even snacking on seasoned boiled Karela rings. And it made me wonder,can this vegetable ever get tasty? Well, many years later, my Mother IN Law had the answer! Stuffed Karela with a sweet n spicy gravy is the best a Karela can get! The Stuffed roasted karela makes for a good dry dish in itself, whereas when coupled with the gravy, its a lovely flavorful curry,devoid of any bitterness. The trick lies in salting the karelas and slightly blanching them before stuffing and cooking them. As for the health benefits, Karela or Bitter gourd is low in calories and an excellent source of vitamin C.It is also known to maintain blood sugar levels, which makes it a natural daily remedy for diabetics. With our Bharwan karela Curry, you can enjoy the health benefits of KArela in a tasty curry!
- Clean the Karela , and cut them into 2-3 pieces. Slit them lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- To reduce the bitterness, lightly scrape out the outer ridges. Apply salt and set aside for 10 mins. Boil them in water for 5 mins until just softened but not completely cooked. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare stuffing, lightly fry the garlic in oil till lightly browned. Grind coarsely with dry coconut and add to the coarsely ground peanuts.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric,cumin coriander powder,salt , jaggery and tamarind. Mix thoroughly using finger tips. Heat 1 tsp oil and pour over the stuffing. Mix using a spoon and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Stuff the Karela with the masala . Heat remaining oil in a non stick pan and fry the stuffed karelas till browned on all sides.
- For making the gravy, grind together peanuts,khopra,garlic and red chilli powder without using any water.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter jeera or cumin seeds. Add the ground masala and fry till oil seperates.
- Add jaggery, salt and 1/2 Cup water . Simmer the gravy for 5 mins. Add tamarind water.
- In a serving plate,arrange the stuffed karelas and pour the gravy over them. Garnish and serve immediately.
You may also like
Send Your Feedback